Frequently Asked Questions
+ What's your cancellation policy?
If you can't make it, please reschedule or cancel 24 hours prior to your appointment.
If it isn't rescheduled / canceled 24 hours prior, or you call to cancel later than 24 hours prior and/or are a "no-show", you will be charged the full amount for the session.
If you are an 80/20 member, you will be charged the full retail amount of the appointment ($90.00). However, you will still have your monthly 80/20 appointment available to you.
*Please Note: If you are sick or think you may be getting sick and might be or become contagious, please cancel or reschedule your appointment as early as possible. Considering this is our livelyhood, we don't want to risk shutting down and/or getting other clients ill for an easily avoidable situation.
*These policies apply to all forms of appointments. Gift Cards, 3-packs and the 80/20 Discount Program.
+ What modalities do you use?
We use a combination of modalities in our Sports Massage
- Neuromuscular Therapy (some call it "Trigger Point Work")
- Deep Tissue
Other tools we use to further benefit our clients:
- Kinesio Tape (RockTape)
+ How much are the sessions?
$45 for 30 minutes
$90 for 60 minutes
- We accept cash, Zelle, Venmo & credit/debit cards. We do not accept checks or insurance.
+ Do you offer discounts & packages?
Yes, we do offer discount massage packages as well as a very generous savings membership/subscription plan. LEARN MORE
+ What should I expect at my first visit?
- In the first session, we will have the initial client assessment. This means that we will ask you more specific questions about what was on your intake form. If necessary, We will look at posture, assess your range of motion, test muscle strength and may do a couple orthopedic tests. This process can take up to 15-20 minutes depending on your needs and objective.
During the session, we will communicate together about what type of pain you are feeling, is it referring, and the pressure. The environment is safe place, we talk, REAL music is going to be playing, No spa here!
After the bodywork, we will do a quick re-assessment, we may talk about the next appointment, and give suggestions for self-care. Also expect to feel great!
+ Does the massage hurt?
- This is a subjective queston, it can be a little uncomfortable, but at no time you should be in pain. If EVER the pressure is too much, please speak up! Massage doesn't need to hurt like hell for it be to effective, and you end up being more sore the next day.
- If you are one of those that has had massages in the past and never have had a therapist use enough pressure or they weren't capable of that sort of pressure, we assure you, that is not the case here.
+ What should I wear to my appointment?
- Whatever you are wearing that day is fine, since you will always be profesionally draped.
- If you prefer to remain clothed, please wear loose clothing, or bring loose clothing with you to change in.
+ Is it better to get a massage before or after a workout?
- Either way is fine, we can easily adapt/modify the session to suit your goals. It just depends...
We get asked this question all...the...time, and this is what we think.
It depends on what your intent of the massage is for. If you're getting a massage to help relieve DOMS, or recover from an injury (delayed onset muscle soreness...the soreness that hits you 2-3 days later), then we wouldn't recommend working out the same day, to give your body more time to recover. Working out right after takes the recovery away since your putting your body under stress again.
If the massage is to improve movement, gain mobility, then working out that same day is completely fine. You have improved movement, use it!
+ How often should I get a massage?
- There's no cookie cutter answer, depends on your goals
We know this answer is annoying but...it depends. We answer this question based on what the person's goals are, not just how often they're in the gym, but what they're doing outside of the gym, what they do for work, etc.
For example, someone training for the Crossfit Games,an Ironman or your UFC debut will need our work more often than someone who works out 3x's a week for overall wellness.
Someone who has an old knee injury might need more sessions than someone who has never had a knee injury. A client might come in because their shoulder is aching, and if it's gone by the first session and the pain hasn't came back, they may not come back for a while because their goal was met. It really is individualized, so we can't give you an answer that equally applies to everyone.
+ Do you guys CrossFit?
Yes we do among other sports! We love CrossFit! We currently workout at Upper Park Crossfit in Chico, CA.
+ Do you guys only massage Crossfitters?
No way! If you're involved in any sport, then you're an athlete! Professional, Elite to beginner levels, to seasonal and weekend hobbies.
our take on FACTS VS. MYTHS
While being in the field of Complimentary and Alternative Medicine (Massage, Chiropractic, Acupuncture, etc.), we have learned that there is an abundance of outdated information. Information without any credible scientific studies to prove claims still continue to be freely passed on. ThumbWorks Sports Massage is proud to be a Science Based Medicine Practice. This means that we refuse to pass on information we consciously know is incorrect. We want to give our clients information that is honest, consistent and logical with unambiguous concepts and language. We love to critical think, research and learn the latest that science has discovered about how the body functions and responds to massage therapy.